Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein-Page 69

"'Listen to me, Frankenstein. You accuse me of murder, and yet you would, with a satisfied conscience, destroy your own creature. Oh, praise the eternal justice of man! Yet I ask you not to spare me: listen to me; and then, if you can, and if you will, destroy the work of your hands." page 69

In this scene, Frankenstein is basically called a hypocrite by the monster he created. Firstly, I think it's hilarious that his own creation would say such a thing. It also gives the reader a new perspective, though. The monster clearly has feelings and is intelligent. No unintelligent creature could possibly recognize hypocrisy. And the monster seems to be reasoning with Frankenstein, another sign of intelligence. This passage portrays the monster almost as endearing. The reader really can sympathize with the monster when viewing events from its perspective.

1 comment: