Thursday, April 14, 2011

Frankenstein-Page 24

"'My children,' she said, 'my firmest hopes of future happiness were placed on the prospect of you union. This expectation will now be the consolation of your father.'" page 24

This passage has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard. it's one thing to walk into a home and ask a woman if her child could be adopted. That's already insane and unrealistic. But it's entirely different to adopt that little girl for the sole purpose of having a wife for her adoptive brother. I don't understand why parents would do that or take pride in it as Frankenstein's mother clearly does. Was that accepted at some point in time or something? I feel like that would be acknowledging a fault or flaw in her son that would prevent him from getting married otherwise. And I don't understand how Frankenstein and Elizabeth don't think of each other as brother and sister. As young as they were, I wouldn't expect them to recognize a different kind of love than the traditional family love.

No comments:

Post a Comment