Monday, November 8, 2010

Interpreter of Maladies

I guess I should have expected that Mrs. Das wasn't faithful to her husband. I kind of feel like an idiot for missing that. Anyway, she is emotionally almost completely separated from her family. I can't imagine how a mother could become that way. Based on Lahiri's description of Mrs. Das, her life isn't bad at all. I think that the Das family represents the idea of the typical family trying to appear to be perfect at the beginning of the story. At the end, the family sounds absolutely crazy. Bobby's incident with the monkeys and the parents' reactions and physical descriptions create a disheveled image. The story is about the change in Mr. Kapasi's attitude toward Mrs. Das from admiring her physical features (page 158) to surprised (page 163). He didn't really know her at all, and as her attitude changes, his infatuation loses intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment