Monday, November 8, 2010

How I Met My Husband

I think I'll take number seven for this one. Firstly, I don't like Alice Kelling, and I think that Munro created her that way on purpose. Alice is definitely an antagonist once she enters the story. She seems to create an immediate threat for Edie when she arrives and picks up the relationship Edie wants with Chris Watters. Alice's presence also seems to give Chris a strong desire to leave as quickly as possible. It's almost ironic that Alice becomes so upset when she believes that Edie has been with Chris (she calls Edie a "filthy little rag" and a convenience of society on page 144) because Alice is just like Edie except for the fact that she follows him. Alice truly believes that she and Chris have a real relationship. Wouldn't he tell her where he was going if he wanted to be with her? Alice sped up the plot of the story and also foiled Edie. Edie was able to give up on Chris eventually, but Alice follows him like a sad puppy looking for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment