Monday, July 5, 2010

Lady Brett Ashley

Firstly, isn't Brett a guy's name? I'm just saying... Okay, so Brett is another one of those characters that really gets on my nerves. Her constant flirting is annoying, and her attitude toward relationships makes no sense to me, specifically her relationship with Jake. In chapter three, as cited in my last post, Brett turns Cohn down to dance with Jake. However, in chapter four, the true nature of Brett and Jake's relationship is revealed, and Brett seems to want to put a great distance between herself and Jake as she demonstrates in the cab on page 33: "...and then she turned away and pressed against the corner of the seat, as far away as she could get." Jake is almost like Brett's kryptonite. A masochistic Brett keeps coming back to him because she feels she has to see Jake, but she still refuses to settle for being in love with him although she freely admits that she is. She's almost bipolar. In one cab ride, she goes from "Don't touch me" (33) to "Kiss me just once more before we get there" (35). If she loves him so much, why can't she just be with him and try to be happy? Flirting and sleeping with every man she meets can't be truly satisfying if she's really experienced love with Jake. To me, it seems that Brett's idea of love is skewed. She appears to be confusing love with any sense of attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment