Thursday, July 8, 2010

An Idea Within an Idea! *voice of Guiness man* Genius!

In the middle of my last post, I realized that Hemingway used a cliche early in the novel! The cliche is more of a concept than a phrase because Hemingway doesn't say it directly; he hints at it. When Robert Cohn meets/sees Brett, he is immediately interested in her. On page 30, Jake narrates: "Dancing, I looked over Brett's shoulder and saw Cohn, standing at the bar, still watching her." And this after he asked her twice to dance. Creeper! But through Jake's eyes, we see the cliche: love at first sight. I think it still counts as a cliche even though it's a concept rather than a phrase, but I could be wrong. Anyway, the concept of "love at first sight" has been used over and over again throughout literary works and even in real life for years. It's so corny now that people laugh at it, but Hemingway cleverly disguised it so that readers would take the novel seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment