Monday, February 28, 2011

A Raisin in the Sun!

I'd like to start off by saying that I actually really enjoyed A Raisin in the Sun. I didn't expect to enjoy it at all because, to be entirely honest, I usually hate the things we read for class. I felt like I could relate to this work, though, especially to Beneatha's character. Beneatha is indecisive in all aspects of her life. On page 47, Mama asks "Why you got to flit from one thing to another, baby?" This occurs in the middle of the argument between Beneatha and Mama and Ruth which brings out Beneatha's true indecisive side. The audience learns that she has quit almost everything she has ever tried, and she still continues to try new things. That made me feel like I could relate to Beneatha best. I still have no concrete plans for the future, and neither does she. And like her, I think I want to be a doctor. Both of us are by no means sure, and it was cool for me to see that there are people even older than I am who are unsure about the future. It was reassuring in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment