Thursday, January 20, 2011

Desdemona

I can't decide if Desdemona truly loves Othello or not. In Act I, Desdemona testifies to her love for Othello in front of the duke. She says to her father that "so much duty as my mother showed To you, preferring you before her father, So much I challenge that I may profess Due to the Moor my lord" (I.iii.185-188). She seems totally and completely devoted to him. Later in the play, however, she does show interest in Cassio, and she even flirts with Iago. By asking what he thinks of all the different kinds of women in Act II, she's looking for a compliment. She doesn't appear to be nearly as enamored with Othello as he is with her. I don't know if I feel bad that he believes she's unfaithful or not. It seems logical to me that she could be at some point if not with Cassio.

1 comment:

  1. you know, I read this comment and then reread the scenes it references....I never thought of her conversation with Iago as flirtation, but now I sort of see what you mean.

    ReplyDelete