Thursday, September 9, 2010

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain

This poem is really depressing, but I actually liked it a lot. The first time I read it, two interpretations came to mind. One: she's going crazy, or two: she has a migraine. I personally prefer the second explanation because I can relate to it better. The steps of the mourners as the "tread" is like the beginning of the migraine. There is a steady pain which slowly grows stronger. I attribute the lack of visual details to the half-vision which is common with migraines or the focus of the pain behind one or both of the eyes. The drum beat is like the throbbing of the headache. The numbness is like the moments when the pain feels like it's beginning to subside. The lifting and moving of the box is the revival of the pain and the motion of the pain slowly moving around the head. The lead boots are the throbbing once again. The bells are like the sounds to which the sufferer of a migraine is so sensitive. The sense of being alone is like laying in bed in a dark room so that no light or sound can worsen the pain. Finally, the migraine ends, and the sufferer drifts off to sleep just as the poem drifts off at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment