Sunday, August 8, 2010

To Desert Or Not To Desert; That Is The Question

Personally, I think he's crazy for not swimming to Canada, but that's just me. That opinion could be partially rooted in the fact that, had he swum to Canada, I wouldn't be reading his book right now. The guilt got him. It's as simple as that. He was so close that he could have just backstroked to freedom, and he chose to stay in the stupid boat. I understand that he was and still is "feeling the shame" (37), but I can't imagine shame strong enough to make me go to war especially if I didn't believe in the cause. American culture was different then, and there was a bigger focus on honor, so I also understand that he felt more pressure than a draftee would today. It still stands to reason, though, that a quality soldier has to believe in the cause. He has to have strong feelings about the prize for which he's fighting. Why would someone who had participated in even minor anti-war demonstrations be drafted?

1 comment:

  1. Well, being drafted was random. Now, there's no draft, so there's an assumption that they believe in the cause.

    ReplyDelete