Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Guess I Was Wrong...

Okay, so on that point of view thing, I think I was wrong. In chapter 2, O'Brien says "Many years after the war, Jimmy Cross came to visit me at my home in Massachusetts..." This implies that the narrator was, in fact, in on the action of the war. So the narrator is using first person now. I can see how this might get confusing throughout the book, so I think I might be liking it a bit less. With a mix of third and first person narrations, it's hard to tell if he's omniscient or not. Is he making up the other men's emotions and thoughts, or did he ask them about their feelings? And is Jimmy Cross still the main character, or is this a story about Tim O'Brien?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I think you've probably figured it out by now but... I'm going to answer anyway! :D

    O'Brien makes it all up. He's a dirty rotten liar with absolutely no conscience when it comes to the integrity of the story. By the end of the book you will probably want to kick him all the way to Timbuktu. That's just me though, maybe you will have better tolerance... but I'm guessing not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm not really sure if we're supposed to comment on other comments...but I am :)
    Autumn, your comment really had me cracking up when I read it. Want to know why? It's because I felt EXACTLY the same way. By the end of the novel, I was so mad that the entire book was a lie. And even worse was that I had been was gullible enough to believe every little bit of it!

    And Grace since this is your blog...lovely post. Great job on figuring out the whole switching narratives thing!

    ReplyDelete